Sciatica is a disease which is caused due to a herniated disc in the lower back. Various reasons can cause a herniated disc, especially when there is pressure on the lower back. It is seen that pregnant women face this problem of herniated discs leading to sciatica.
Some people with sciatica face problems getting up from their bed due to extreme pain, so it is important to take care of it as soon as possible. If you face this problem in Houston, consult your medical facilitator. There are various expert doctors like Dr. Ioannis Skaribas Houston who can guide you toward better care.
What are Dos for Sciatica?
- It is advisable to be active and not just lie on your bed being inactive the whole day. Being active will help you strengthen the back muscles. The back muscle needs to be strong and avoid herniated discs. Active does not mean you should lift heavy weights; rather, you should adopt the exercise that keeps you in good form.
- Elevate your knees and legs while sleeping. This will help in relieving the pain in the herniated disc.
- Heat therapy will be a great saviour for you. The heat helps to relax the muscles and ease the blood flow. However, it is recommended that heat is not suitable for Sciatica, but you can use it mildly.
- On the other hand, cold therapy is very much effective in sciatica. So, you can use ice packs to relieve the burning pain.
- Try to keep the correct posture while walking, sitting and sleeping. It will help you to reduce excess pressure on the spine. So, the upper body’s weight will not rely on the lower spine.
What are Don’ts for Sciatica?
- You should avoid heavy physical activities like mountain biking, trekking, martial arts, and heavy sports. You should avoid having unnecessary pressure on your spine with heavy physical exercises.
- If you are having pain, you should consult a doctor but don’t take complete bed rest. Resting completely in bed will complicate your problem. Rather, staying active will reduce your problem.
- You should avoid smoking, drinking alcohol and other activities that harm your body.
Sciatica is treated with proper management, and therefore, you should take care of these activities and ensure that you are in the proper place, not putting much pressure on your body. Surgical treatment will help you when the pain is not relieved, but you should start by taking care of yourself to avoid sciatica problems.